Monday, March 13, 2006

When we got in from fishing last week, Ron and I proceeded to clean up the boat while Larry took care of cleaning the fish. While we were working on the boat, the Pelican circus came to the dock where Larry was working. Yeah, I said Pelican Circus.

Seems that around the turn of the 20th century, there was a travelling circus consisting entirely of highly trained brown pelicans! This troupe made regular visits to Apalachicola, Eastpoint, St George Island and many other communities in the Florida panhandle. I understand there were as many as a hundred performing birds. They did such tricks as the dive bomber, the flying wedge, formation swimming, diving for fish on command and a host of other stunts too numerous to mention. Now I know it strains credibility to believe that this is a true story. In fact, I was quite skeptical at first so I'm not asking you to believe what I'm telling you just on faith. No sirree! I have proof! The attached picture shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that what I'm telling you is true.

These pelicans are performing the delicate and difficult stunt of "circle swimming". I've been told that these birds are direct descendants of the original performing avians. So, see for yourself!

1 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Clare said...

No way! That's so cool! What a great pic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home